Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shinjuku Ramen House, Makati

Name: Shinjuku Ramen House
Location: Pasong Tamo, Makati
Google Maps: Little Tokyo
Date & Time: July 28, 2010 Dinner Time
Must Know: No Service Charge

Ordered from the Menu:
Tenshinmen Ramen PHP 295.00
Tofu Agedashi PHP 185.00
Sauce Yakisoba PHP 240.00

28 years ago, I was born as Jun and Eloisa's 2nd child. And the world was never the same, for the good I hope...

I was supposed to have dinner today with my family and loved one but due to schedule and logistical difficulties for today, we decided to move it to the 29th instead. Tonight, it will be a simple dinner with Audrey in a place I've been curious about.

If most of you don't get the chance to pass by along the string of Japanese restaurants along Pasong Tamo, I don't blame you. This place is known for notoriously incomprehensible jeepney drivers who seem to think that counter flow is a right when driving. True, it is quite a challenge to maneuver a vehicle here for average drivers on rush hour, but I've always wanted to try one of these authentic J-restaurants so curiosity fueled the courage to brave it on a day like this.

Tenshinmen Ramen PHP 295.00

The Tenshinmen Ramen is served as ramen soup with scrambled egg on top with a splash of sauce (which I don't know) and all the warm tender noodles can be found below. The bowl is also served with crab meat and some garnishes that add to the over-all flavor. As soon as I sipped the warm soup, I immediately knew this soup wouldn't taste like any normal ramen served in most Japanese restaurants. It tasted more authentic and the sauce is something I still can't figure out, the noodles was tender and thickness was just right. I enjoy ramen personally, but this one just seemed to average as the main topping, which was crab, really didn't succeed in creating an identity for this dish to make a lasting impression. Over-all, I thought it was very average.

Sauce Yakisoba PHP 240.00

Moving on on the Sauce Yakisoba, I thought immediately that it was normal. It consisted of noodles, veggies, meat, shrimp, peppers, and bean sprouts. It's wasn't swimming in butter like most Japanese restaurants do to their vegetables, this one tasted healthy and refreshing. It was simple and I believe there really is nothing more to say about this dish.

Tofu Agedashi PHP 185.00

Last on the menu was the Tofu Agedashi which was served with some batter to hold it together and some ginger sauce similar to what is served with tempura. What can I say? It was really basic and I can't go one adding more sentences to what is a plan and simple tofu fry.

Over-all, the place's location is not the best as Pasong Tamo has the most notorious jeepney drivers. Parking is sufficient though and you'll find it easy once you've gotten in front of this place, getting there is the hard part.

I thought it was disappointing, simply because I had high expectations. Here's how it ranked on our scorecard.

3.5 - Food Quality is high using fresh ingredients, no aftertaste.

3.0 - Ambiance is okay, but I think it caters to no-none-sense Japanese nationals.

2.5 - Value for Money is pricey for the food you're getting. Nothing great for above average prices.

3.0 - Service is nothing special, nothing bad as well.

12 - Total

No comments:

Post a Comment