Monday, August 30, 2010

Ramen Bar, Eastwood


Name: Ramen Bar
Location: Eastwood
Google Maps: Eastwood Mall
Date: Aug 27, 2010 08:30pm
Must Know: Outside the mall, 10.00% service charge.

Ordered from the Menu:
  • RBS #1 Php 380.00
  • Super Chasyu Ramen Php 380.00
  • Kakuni Buns Php 180.00
  • Tempura Ice Cream Php 120.00

This one opened just a couple of weeks ago if not more than a month. I'm not sure about the Ramen Bar franchise but this is the first time I've seen and heard about it - and for that, this place starts on neutral territory. No recommendations, no good or bad reviews - this is make or break.

Let's start off with the location - I last reviewed its neighbor, Cook Book Kitchen, and I maintain my stand that this is strategically located. It's very convenient and accessible to its customers, being right beside the chapel and just outside the mall. It also gets great visibility even to passersby. The setup of the place is normal: sufficient lighting, fairly comfortable seating, and very accommodating staff.

Let's get down to business. The good thing about dinner-for-two is that it's always easier to be seated as opposed to being with a large group of three or more. Once we found our table, we asked our server their recommended dishes. Zani, our attendant that evening, recommended their best seller big bowls: the RBS #1 (PHP 380.00) and the Super Chasyu Ramen (PHP 380.00). For starters, she recommended the Kakuni Buns (PHP 180.00).
After roughly 5-mins of waiting, I was surprised to see the big bowl dishes arrive together. Shortly after that arrived the Kakuni Buns - yes main dishes first, but I'm not complaining because the whole order arrived fairly quickly.

Super Chasyu Ramen (PHP 380.00)

I immediately reached for the the Super Chasyu Ramen (PHP 380.00) which is a big bowl of ramen with thin slices of beef and tamago. In case you're wondering, tamago is really just fish cake, the same material used for fish balls just grilled egg. The soup (I think) has coconut milk which makes it tastes a bit Filipino - remember ginataang kuhol? It's also sprinkled with sesame seeds and one sliced egg. The noodles have just the right firmness to soak and absorb just the right amount of the soup's flavor. Over-all, the bowl was great and I feel justified as this was my pick for this evening.

Kakuni Buns (PHP 180.00)

Okay, so I skipped the starters and now I'm coming back for it. The Kakuni Bread (PHP 180.00) is siopao bread served as loaf with grilled chicken slices, some sauce, and veggies. It's very light and healthy and it is served for you to eat it as a sandwich - it's very unique and interesting. Hats-off to the chef for thinking of something unique like this. Is this the only place which serves something like this ? - Not sure, but surely the first in my book.

RBS #1 Php 380.00

Moving on - the next bowl is the RBS #1 (PHP 380.00) which was Audrey's order. This one is soy infused tonkotsu ramen topped with tamago, naruto, nori, negi, chasyu, and kakuni. Don't ask me to translate what those ingredients are - but my opinion is that this bowl is more pork based. No hint of coconut milk in this bowl but this one came-out tasting more Filipino than the first one. This bowl wasn't bad at all and I still recommend it - but I preferred to stick to my order this evening.

Tempura Ice Cream Php 120.00

To top-off the evening, we tried their Tempura Ice Cream (PHP 120.00) for dessert. I was curious to see how this would stand against Omakase's own version of this dish and I wasn't disappointed. As opposed to Omakase's dessert bowl (just like ice cream), this one is more of a dessert dish because it is served with a wafer stick and melted chocolate dip. Still, I enjoyed it very much as they sliced it open into bite sizes and you have the option to dip it in chocolate to control the sweetness.

In the end, we were both failry satisfied by our dining experience.

Here's what I thought about this place.

  • 3.5 for food quality. The firmness of the noodles was just right and the soup had a unique taste.
  • 3.0 for ambiance since its still fairly new. However, it doesn't have its uniqueness to stand out and be remembered.
  • 3.0 is value for money. The noodles is a bit on the high end, but it should be since this is their signature.
  • 4.0 for service as Zani was really accommodating and kept on checking on us for whatever we needed.
13.5 total.

5 comments:

  1. "tamago is really just fish cake, the same material used for fish balls" - Isn't Tamago = egg? In the case of the dishes mentioned above the tamago was marinated. - Myles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Myles. You're right, Tamago is just really grilled egg. I need to correct that. Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. My brother wants to give it a try and we've been searching for good ramen places without having to head to Little Tokyo. It's a bit far for us, while Eastwood is much more accessible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kat.

    You're welcome! Keep coming back for more reviews in the future. You can always use the topic index on the right to find what you're looking for. Hope to hear from you soon.

    Warm regards,
    Primo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy. Thanks for sharing a review. I think I would like to try this out.

    ReplyDelete